Our Mission is to provide a safe refuge, counselling, support and advocacy for women and their children who are fleeing violence; while also working towards a more equal society where the inherent value of all women is recognized and celebrated.
- In working within a feminist framework
- In working within an Anti-Racist Anti-Oppressive framework
- In equity for all women and children
- In recognizing and respecting diversity
- Violence and abuse against women and children is systemic and a crime
- Violence is about power, control and oppression
- Every person has the right to live in a non-violent environment
- The community as a whole has a responsibility to contribute to ending violence against women
- All women have the right to make choices
- That abuse takes many forms
Women’s Habitat operates an emergency shelter for women identified individuals and children who are experiencing abuse. We also operate a Community Support and Outreach Centre for women in the community who have experienced violence.
Women’s Habitat’s Board of Directors is a 9-member community Board. We are seeking to fill Board vacancies and are looking for individuals with skills and experience in any of the following areas: program and community development, finance, fundraising, communications, marketing, law, social justice & advocacy, and human resources. We are especially interested in persons who are from the not for profit, charitable /voluntary sector. We are interested in women with lived experiences in poverty, violence and homelessness. Previous Board experience is a definite asset.
- Attend Board Meetings and the Annual General Meeting;
- Participate on at least one of the Board Committees;
- Participate in the on-going development and implementation of a long term vision and strategic plan for Women’s Habitat;
- Support and participate in the activities of the organization including fundraising activities, community education and social justice initiatives;
- Ensure the programs and services reflect the mission and vision of the agency.
Women’s Habitat is committed to the development of an organization that reflects the community and the women we serve. Applications from Women with Lived Experience, Indigenous Women, Women of Colour, Racialized Women, LGBTQ Women, Women with Disabilities and Young Women (18 to 35 years) are strongly encouraged. Please complete this Application and return it along with your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applicants shortlisted for an interview and applicants not selected will all be contacted.